Until a few years back, most of us were only concerned to make walls lively and not much thought was given to the ceiling. Ceilings were mostly flat and white. Despite all the amazing steps and efforts we took in designing and decorating the rest of the house, the ceiling was something that skipped our mind rather easily.
With the new breed of designers taking the centre stage, this concept has changed. A great ceiling design in any room – whether bedroom, living room, dining area, or the kitchen – can give the space a unique, inimitable and individual character, thereby amplifying the overall look of the space multiple times. A unique and different ceiling also leaves an indelible impression in the minds of those who step into your house.
The ceiling designs are numerous, but what will be a perfect design for your room depends on the available space, the surrounding walls and the overall theme of the house. Keeping in mind all these factors and also the taste and preference of the home owner, you can choose from the innumerable patterns and colours available.
Here are six gorgeous ceiling styles and designs that you may want to consider. You can choose the ones that appeal to you the most to incorporate into your dream home. These great designs will help you transform the ordinary space into an astonishing canvas for décor opportunity. Something that you will be proud of and your guests will feel mesmerised to look at.
- Exposed Beams Ceilings: If you want a rustic feel or have a lot of wooden furniture around then having exposed beam ceilings increases the allure of overall setting. You can have dim lights installed in it to give it a dramatic effect. This type of ceiling is getting very popular these days. These types of ceilings can be covered with paints, but if you are a fan of more rustic vibe you can leave the beams and pipes exposed. It makes the space look more lofty, open and natural. The other alternative can be to have wooden panels fixed within the structure crafted at the ceiling. This will transform the look from rustic to sophisticated and still will complement your wooden furniture. Here you can use hanging lights to complete the look of the place.
- Tray Ceiling Styles: This is again a widely used ceiling type that can be incorporated in many ways. The basic feature of this type of ceiling is that it is a cut-out design in which the mid part of the ceiling is recessed. The focal lighting fixtures are mounted into the deepest part of the ceiling. Here, you have options to paint the inner part in brighter shades to complement the wall colours and the remaining ceiling can be in lighter shades. This makes the ceiling stand out. Light hues and simple lights on the remaining ceiling contribute to achieving elegance.
- Tray and Beam: Another dimension can be added to tray type of ceiling if you want to incorporate it into your luxury living room. Here you can have a fusion of tray and beam. So, the basic type is tray, but beam style is incorporated to make it highly magnificent. It is a costly affair, but makes the space look out of the world.
- Vaulted Ceiling Styles: If you are a fan of a sloppy ceiling then go for vaulted ceiling style. It features slopes, which may be angled to the shape of the roof. Here you have an option of having equal slopes that meet in the middle or you can also have uneven slopes or feature only one single slope. Depending on your preference, you can get the things altered your way.
- Coffered Ceiling Styles: This is very much used in living rooms to have that graceful and understated ceiling and lovely soothing tones. The characteristic feature of this is repeating sunken square or rectangular panels. The primary focal lighting fixture is hung from the centremost panels, while the other panels have recessed or subdued lighting. If you are a fan of minimal décor, then this ceiling is very apt to create a character in the room.
- Domed Ceiling Styles: This type of ceiling is appropriate for grand homes. So, if you have a big space and want to mimic the circular dome structure of ancient church or government building then you can go for it. The dome is mostly capped with stained glass oculus, which is a characteristic feature of medieval architecture. It lets the natural light come in and adds a dimension to the ceiling.
You can select any type of ceiling within the limitations based on the construction of the home. If you can’t change ceiling style, you can always jazz it up with a fresh can of paint. As you lay down to read, relax or work, let the ceiling create a perfect ambience to suit all your moods.